Media Browser 2.2.8 (codename Orion) Out Now
Yesterday also saw the release of the new version of the Media Browser – codename Orion.
Media Browser is a media aggregator plugin for Media Center that takes your recorded, digital, or ripped media and presents it in a simple, easyto use interface. Media Browser prides itself on delivering a fast, intuitive, mediarich experience for the whole family.
- Automatic metadata retrieval
- Streaming latest online trailers
- Media bookmarking (resume play)
- Support for external players
- Vodcast support (video rss feeds)
- Third party plug-in architecture
- Automatic updates
- Custom view layouts
- Multiple themes
- Create random / full folder playlists
I love Media Browser – I have been using it for ages, and frankly I wouldn’t run Media Center without it!
Here is a brief run down of some of the updates – you really want to check out the complete changelog for more information:
- Extended MediaInfo support with improved performance, detection and flexible custom image management through ImagesByName. Have a look here for details.
- Various fixes for the High Quality Thumbnail plugin, improving performance and reliability
- Default theme has been improved. Some new features have been added and various bugs have been squashed
- Actor roles are now supported for TV Series through both Internet Providers as local metadata.
- Internet Providers now fetch studios for movies and tv shows
- Media files can now be deleted properly right after they have been played
- The configurator interface has been cleaned up and offers some new options including additional extensions for external players
To see a full list of the tracker topics for these changes, have a look here.
- All Media Browser supporters will now have access to 3 very awesome plugins: Trailers, CoverArt and the pearl theme, you should get an email with your supporter key in the next few days.
- Several plug-ins will require upgrades to work with this version. Be sure and check all your installed plug-ins for available updates.
- It’s recommended to clear the cache after updating to Orion. Media Browser will likely rebuild anyway and SQLite users can benefit from a new optimized SQLite database file
You also might want to download and use Media Center Master as well with Media Browser – they work great together.
Do you use these? If not, what do you use and why?