Today saw the release of XBMC for the Apple iPhone, iPad and AppleTV. I for one an quite excited!
Back in December we published our hands-on review of XBMC 10.0, and we loved it.
And now for those of us that have Apple devices, such as the iPhone, iPad or the new AppleTV, we can get XBMC as well.
This thing may fit in your pocket, but don’t underestimate its power. Unfortunately, it is seriously lacking in capability due to its limited feature-set revolving around rentals and iTunes. Where’s the fun in that?
- Full XBMC install, this is not a remote or thin client streamer.
- No longer is your AppleTV2 chained to iTunes.
- Who wants transcoded video anyway?
- Share files on your network your way.
- Full hardware decode for 720p/1080p movies.
- Everything else you know and love about XBMC.
Apple iPad and iPhone4
What good is a tablet that makes you play by its rules? We at XBMC want our media our way.
- You guessed it, this is full-blown XBMC. Not a remote.
- Launch XBMC like any other app.
- Drag and drop media from your computer, or share it on your home-network
- Also fully hardware accelerated for most formats.
- Works on iPhone4, though it’s currently frustrating to use.
- Challenge: Who will be the first to create a gesture-driven skin?
It is important to note though that you will have to jailbreak your Apple device in order to get this to work, so if you are not comfortable doing it then this unfortunately isn’t going to be able to you.
You can learn more from the XBMC website, and expect a more hands-on post soon.