Review of the ioSafe SoloPRO Waterproof and Fireproof Hard Drive
Do you need a backup drive capable of being both fireproof and waterproof? Would you like some data recovery services thrown in just in case? Then look no further than the SoloPRO from ioSafe.
Who are ioSafe?
From their website:
ioSafe is the technology leader of disaster proof hardware. Since 2005, our patented technology provides unparalleled physical security protection against fire, flood and theft for thousands of homes and businesses. Like an aircraft black box, ioSafe adds physical security and protection to irreplaceable data.
Encryption and network security are often used to protect data. Wildfires and hurricanes care little about whether the data is encrypted. Firefighters won’t ask your permission before hosing down your entire computer system. Any offsite vaulting strategy will have vulnerability for the most important data in your business – the data you just created – not the data from last week. Backing up even one terabyte of data to the cloud could take up to 10 months with the typical business or home connection.
Physical security of data is often overlooked. Nearly every business, large or small has vulnerabilities. ioSafe specializes in hardware to help protect vulnerable data wherever it may reside. Designed to be bolted to the floor, survive building collapse or padlocked to anything immovable, our steel outer casings combined with fire and flood protection are designed to provide the ultimate physical security for external data storage.
According to IDC, over 100,000 external desktop hard drives are sold every day. By 2014 digital content in an average US home could total almost 12 terabytes according to Coughlin Associates! The higher download speeds and slower upload speeds have made it impractical to perform online backup for anything more than a few gigabytes. To upload a terabyte, nevermind 5 or 10TB to the cloud anytime soon will be impractical for all but the largest of businesses.
ioSafe high security technology gives you the choice between a pretty red unprotected drive and a fireproof, waterproof external hard drive starting at less than $150 and storing up to 2TB. Which drive do you want protecting your business data or your family photos and videos? How much are they worth to you?
- Single 3.5 SATA disk: 1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, 3TB capacities available1
- Quiet forced air cooling
- Multi-platform compatibility with Mac & PC/Windows
- Microsoft Windows Server & Linux (fully supported with eSATA)
- USB 3.0 or eSATA/USB 2.0 Interface
1 3TB support limited to Windows 7, Server 2008, Linux and Mac
Disaster & Security Specifications
- Fire protection – 1550°F, 1/2 hour per ASTM E119
- Flood / Submersion protection – to 10 feet water depth, 72 hours
- Proven data protection and recovery
- Tested per UL, FCC and CE Standards
- Physical theft protection
- Cable lock or floor mount
- Kennsington® Lock Compatible
- 1 Year Data Recovery Service (DRS) Standard (3 and 5 year plans available)
- 3 Year manufacturer’s warranty for defects Standard (5 year available with purchase of 5 year DRS upgrade)
- Up to $2500 included for forensic recovery service
- Advanced Replacement included for warranty/DRS exchanges
- Expedited shipping for DRS support
Inside The Box
- ioSafe SoloPRO External Hard Drive
- USB Cable
- eSATA Cable (eSATA model only)
- Power Supply
- Owners Manual and Warranty
- Electrical — AC input
- Voltage: 80 ~ 264 VAC at 50/60 HZ
- Typical Power Consumption: < 25W
- Intel Pentium II 350 Mhz-compatible or Mac G3 processor & greater
- USB for Microsoft Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS 8.6 & greater or Linux based NAS devices
- eSATA for full support of Windows Server or Linux Server systems
- For USB 3.0 or eSATA/USB 2.0 speeds, the system must support applicable specifications
- Operating: 0-35° C (95°F)
- Non-operating: 0-1550°F, 1/2 hr per ASTM E119
- Operating Humidity: 20% – 80% (non-condensing)
- Non-operating Humidity: 100%, Full water immersion, 10 feet, 3 days
- Size: 5.0″W x 7.1″H x 11.0″L
- Weight: 15 lbs
The ioSafe SoloPRO Data Recovery Service
The ioSafe SoloPRO Data Recovery Service (DRS) provides a one time use, no questions asked data and hardware recovery service. For any loss, no matter the reason. Whether your business is a victim of a drive failure or a natural disaster — we’ve got you covered.
With the ioSafe SoloPRO DRS you get to enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing your data is protected by the best data recovery service in the industry.
One time use, no questions asked, data recovery service
Up to $2500 for forensic data recovery
Free Advanced Replacement for expedited recovery
Direct access to ioSafe’s experts — one point of contact
Replacement hardware pre-loaded with recovered data
When we say “any reason” we mean it. It doesn’t matter what happens. We’ve got you covered.
Need a few examples? We’ve got that covered too :
- Fire damage
- Flood damage
- Accidental damage
- Human Error
- Disk failure
- External Enclosure failure
- Accidental deletion
- Power failures
- An intern dumps soda on your drive
- Anything you can think of…