The Plex application allows you to use your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch to browse and play your media (video, photos and music) using the Plex Media Server installed on your Mac or PC. The latest version, v2.3, has just been released in the App Store.
Plex for iOS brings the power of Plex to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. With Plex, you can stream your music, videos and photos from your home computers running Plex Media Server (available from http://www.plexapp.com/) and access content from a wide range of channels. Channels are available for apps like Aperture, iTunes and iPhoto, or online services like YouTube, Vimeo and Revision3. There’s also a remote control feature for Plex Media Center.
Additionally, you can sign up for the myPlex service, which lets you connect to servers shared with you by your friends, queue videos from your web browser to watch later, and connect to your Plex Media Server at home wherever you are in the world via Wi-Fi or a celluar connection, with no configuration necessary!
Plex Media Server streams your media directly from your computer, so there’s no need to convert before viewing. Plex is smart, too – if your media isn’t already in a format your device can play, it’ll convert it on-the-fly.
• DRM-protected content (TV shows, movies and older music tracks from the iTunes store) is not supported.
• ISO images are not supported.
• VIDEO_TS folders are not supported.
• PGS subtitles are not supported.
• Audio formats iOS can’t play natively (e.g. FLAC) are not supported.
What’s New in Version 2.3
This latest update of Plex brings you lots of bug-fixes, Retina Display goodness, and higher quality settings for the latest iOS devices. We’ve also started adding some management functionality, allowing you (finally) to mark videos (un)watched and rate them, and the detail views now feature background art. So pretty!
– NEW: The video player can now be locked to the landscape orientation.
– NEW: Media can be added to or removed from your myPlex queue.
– NEW: Items in your library or your queue can be marked as watched/unwatched.
– NEW: You can change the ratings of items in your library.
– NEW: Easier access to channels & queued media from the home screen.
– NEW: Higher resolution images in the photo viewer.
– NEW: 20Mbps quality setting on iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and iPad (3rd Generation)
– UPDATED: Retina display compatibility.
– UPDATED: Detail view design.
– FIX: Playback of stacked videos.
– FIX: Better handling of audio items with multiple streams available.
– FIX: Scrobbling of items with an unknown duration.
– FIX: Removed connection optimisation which was breaking connectivity when using a VPN.
– FIX: Higher quality settings are now available on 3rd generation iPads.
– FIX: Detection of players launched while the Browse tab is active.
– FIX: The default playback action is correctly remembered.
– FIX: The Remote tab could become enabled incorrectly.
The cost for the app is £2.99.
[button link="http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/plex/id383457673?mt=8" style="download"]Download from the Apple App Store[/button]