Hands-on with the ZTE Grand X Android based smartphone
Last night in London ZTE announced their next smartphone, the Android 4.0 based ZTE Grand X and we got some hands-on time with it.
The ZTE Grand X combines an NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core chipset with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). The powerful processor delivers fast download speeds and video processing and, combined with the 4.3-inch 16 million colour Sharp screen (960×540) and cinematic surround-sound Dolby Mobile Sound technology, enables the Grand X to provide a compelling mobile entertainment experience.
The phone is very lightweight and fits nicely into the palm of your hand. It has rounded corners and a textured back.
The phone comes with 4GB of internal memory and this can easily be expanded using MicroSD.
The rear camera works pretty well (it was a rather dark area we were in with lots of people taking pictures of it so I expect the camera to perform better in a real world situation) and the front camera is ok, but then you are not likely to take pictures you want to keep with the front one, are you?
The sound quality is good – it utilises Dolby Mobile Sound.
Overall I found the phone to be fast and responsive with a bright and clear screen – I look forward to trying it out properly. Expect our full review soon.
- Processor: NVIDIA Tegra 2, Dual-core (AP20 Dual Core 1GHz)
- Display Size: 4.3” – 16M QHD (960 x 540)
- Modem: NVIDIA i450 (HSDPA Cat14, 21Mbps)
- Weight: 110g
- Dimensions: 127mmx64.6mmx9.9mm
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 2.1, WiFi, DLNA
- Camera: Dual Camera 5MP AF Flash/0.3 MP
- User Memory: 4GB + up to 32GB Micro SD
- RAM: 512 MB
- Storage: 4GB, expandable to 32GB (Micro SD)
- OS: Android 4.0 (ICS)
- Battery: 1650 mAh Li-Ion
- Others: Dolby Mobile Sound / HD Voice / HD video capture and playback / Facetones / Evernote / Documents to go / Tegra Zone (Gaming Marketplace)
Virgin Media will offer the ZTE Grand X on prepay for £189.99, or on contract from £24 a month all the way up to £37 depending on your chosen package. Phones 4u have yet to release their pricing, but expect that any time now.
The ZTE Grand X will be available sometime during August.