Game Review: Spy vs Spy for the iPad
Robots and Pencils, together with First Star Software, Inc. and Warner Bros. have launched Spy vs Spy for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, featuring the famous Black and White spies from DC Entertainment’s MAD Magazine with online and local multiplayer matches, 16 new embassies (plus the original 8), and a pixel perfect retro mode as well as a modern mode.
Based on the original “Spy vs Spy” game, the iOS title brings back all the humour, action and fisticuffs that made the original an all-time, multi-million-unit-selling hit.
This modern update takes the original gameplay as designed, developed, and published by First Star Software in 1984 for the Apple II, Atari 400/800 and Commodore 64, and adds HD visuals; support of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Apple’s GameCenter as well as four remixes of the original music and many other new features.
Spy vs Spy features:
· Online + Local Multiplayer Support – sabotage and intrigue included.
· 16 Brand New Embassies – for a total of 24.
· Play alone in Custom Matches for all 24 embassies, each with 5 levels of difficulty – you select the IQ of the opposing spy.
· Retina graphics for the new iPad and iPhone.
· New, full screen club-to-club Combat in Modern mode.
· Modern & Retro game modes – both featuring Simulvision™, Simulplay™ and your very own Trapulator™.
· 5 types of Booby-Traps – play as the famous Black and White spies from MAD Magazine.
· Integrated Game Center Leaderboards and Achievements.
· Includes the original theme music plus 4 new remixes.
· Universal app – play on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
The Retro mode is fun – I remember playing it on my trusty Spectrum, many, MANY years ago and it really brought back memories.
Basically you can’t go wrong for $0.99 and it’s a lot of fun! The addition of Retina graphics really make a difference too.
The gameplay can get a little frustrating at time, but that’s half the fun with Spy vs Spy. If you want to relive some of your childhood, and have a fun time, go get Spy vs Spy now.
Spy vs Spy is now available on the iTunes App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/app/spy-vs-spy/id514737089
Have you played it? Tell us what you think by leaving a comment below.