One of the more interesting things that I saw at CES2013 was the DDJ-WeGO DJ controller, introduced by Pioneer in September and providing a good entry-level DJ controller product. Read on for details.
One of the more interesting things that I saw at CES2013 was the DDJ-WeGO DJ controller, introduced by Pioneer in September and providing a good entry-level DJ controller product. Intended as an entry-level product, the DDJ-WeGO is aimed at those who would like to try basic DJ’ing without the cost of the professional systems. With an MSRP of $399, and available in red, black, purple, green and white, this is an interesting product. Here is the press release from August:
PIONEER BRINGS THE ART OF DJING TO EVERYONE
WITH AFFORDABLE DJ CONTROLLER
DDJ-WeGO Ideal for Consumers to Create Personalized Mixes
LONG BEACH, Calif. (August 30, 2012) – Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. Professional Sound and Visual Division today unveiled its most affordable controller to date, the DDJ-WeGO, an ultra-compact system that enables consumers and music enthusiasts alike to mix their own music creatively. For easy setup, the DDJ-WeGO is bundled with the Virtual DJ™ Limited Edition DJ software and has the ability to perform music stored on a Windows PC or Mac.
The DDJ-WeGO is available in five body colors, white, black, red, green and violet, to match a user’s individual taste. The unit also features multi-color LED backlighting for the Jog wheel, and the user interface of the included software can be color customized.
“We wanted to develop a product that anyone can simply pick up and start their quest of becoming the next big DJ,” said David Arevalo, senior marketing manager, Professional Sound and Visual Division for Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “Even if you have no experience in DJing, the DDJ-WeGO is designed to make it easy for you to mix songs together.”
Mixing Made Easy
Through various visual and audio cues, the DDJ-WeGO DJ controller makes it easy for beginners to learn how to mix with built-in effects and features:
Jog FX – Allows users to combine multiple effects and control them simultaneously using the Jog wheel.
Pulse Control – Provides users with visual prompts with a variety of colored lights on the Jog platters:
- Mix Pulse – The mix pulse mode shows the difference in pitch of songs currently playing through the light of the Jog wheel. As the pitch of songs begin to match, the intensity of the light increases, allowing the user to visually check that the beats are in sync. In conjunction with the music, the pulse of lights helps to improve beat matching skills.
- Launch Pulse – Triggers a red light on the Jog wheel to signify that music has been loaded successfully.
- FX Pulse – The effect being applied to the currently playing song will not only be heard, but will also be represented visually via the light movements on the Jog wheel.
DJ Software – The DDJ-WeGO is bundled with the “Virtual DJ Limited Edition” software by Atomix Productions (Windows or Mac) that offers a broad range of functions for mixing songs, including making loops and creating samples, as well as the ability to mix up to four channels for unlimited user creativity and mixes. The DDJ-WeGO has the ability to support other DJ software including Algoriddim “djay.”1
USB Power – The DDJ-WeGO utilizes power from USB connections found on most computers, eliminating the need for an external power supply.
- Built-in audio ports for high quality sound input and output.
- Built-in sound card for expanded music storage and portability.
- Compact size and weighs less than four pounds for easy transportation.
The DDJ-WeGO will be available in September 2012 with a suggested retail price of $399.
1Please visit http://www.pioneerdjusa.com/gear.aspx?product=DDJ-WeGO&cp=2 for information about other supported DJ software in October.
PIONEER is a registered trademark of Pioneer Corporation.
Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
Mac is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Virtual DJ is a trademark of Atomix Productions Inc.