Quite a few people are now using Windows 8, but did you know about the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center?
I recently was sent some new Microsoft keyboard and mouse hardware, designed for Windows 8, for review. So imagine my surprise when I connected some of it to my Windows 8 machine only for it to be recognised as generic hardware. This surprised me as Microsoft hardware is usually really good and easy to install.
None of the new hardware comes with any driver software and so I couldn’t easy see a way of sorting the problem.
My first thought was that I wasn’t too concerned as they hardware was actually working – then I realised that some of the specialised functions on the hardware wouldn’t work unless they were correctly recognised, so I did some digging.
And what I found was that I need to download and install a piece of software from Microsoft called the Mouse and Keyboard Center.
Mouse and Keyboard Center helps you personalize and customize how you work on your PC
- Tailor your mouse and keyboard to meet your unique needs and work style.
- Modify your mouse and keyboard settings to make it easier to use the unique features of most PC apps.
Effortlessly transition to Mouse and Keyboard Center from existing device management apps
- Launch the app from the Windows 8 Start screen.
- View and change basic and application-specific settings for all connected devices in one place.
- Explore features with pop-up descriptive and “how-to” InfoTips.
- Includes access to an online How-To/Troubleshooting library.
- Includes access to an online Healthy Computing Guide for tips on how to work more comfortably on your computer.
So I downloaded and installed it – there is both a 32 bit and 64 bit version.
Now when I connect the hardware I see what I hoped:
And I can now configure the hardware and make changes as I see fit!
So now everything works fine and is great – I am just surprised that something so fundamental and important wasn’t actually already part of Windows 8.
Hopefully this brief how to guide will help others and save them some time!
[button link=”http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/downloads/mouse-keyboard-center” style=”download”]Download the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center from here[/button]