Linksys EA6500 Router Review Part One: Installation
Linksys sent over an AC router for review, the EA6500. This is the first part of my review, where I walk you through the installation process. Read on for details!
Linksys sent over an AC router for review, the EA6500. This is the first part of my review, where I walk you through the installation process. The AC standard is the newest development in routers, and promises better bandwidth that N routers. However, since that speed happens on the 5GHz band, it remains to be seen if these higher-speed connections will have the range to be useful in the average home. In addition to the router, they also sent an AC wireless bridge media connector device to enable me to test out AC speeds in a real-world environment. Today’s post will cover basic installation of the router.
Let’s start out with Linksys’ description of the product.
- Networking large, multi-room homes and home theaters
- Streaming HD video, music and large files at fast speeds
- Connecting multiple users and devices-TVs, Blu-ray players, game consoles and tablets
- Simultaneously accessing and sharing stored USB content and a USB printer
- Optimising your home network with mobile apps
- Latest Draft 802.11ac wireless technology
- Backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n devices
- Simultaneous Dual-Band with speeds up to 450 + 1300 Mbps
- SpeedBoost™ technology
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- 2 USB ports and integrated DLNA Certified™ Media Server
- 3D antenna array allows for wall mounted or table top display
- SimpleTap™ simplifies connecting devices
- Optional cloud platform that enables remote access and mobile apps to manage your home network
Here’s a good video from Linksys that gives you a good look at some of the features.
And take a look at these product shots.
Now onto the installation!
Set the router up by plugging it into your modem, connecting any devices directly and then powering up the router. Insert the installation disc.
My PC did not auto-start, so I navigated to the disc drive, opened up the install disc and clicked on Setup to start the process. Click through any security warning.