AxoNet Software has just released a technical preview of their Lights-Out Add-In for Windows Server code name Vail and Aurora. This Add-In, which is now available for download, provides the same functionality as the Lights-Out Add-In for WHS v1. This new Vail/Aurora Add-In will allow you to manage your server and the PCs on your network with ease. Read on to find out more and watch a short video of the installation process and key features!
AxoNet and the Lights-Out Add-In
The original Lights-Out Add-In for WHS v1 was released last year. Since then, the Add-In has received rave reviews and has saved many watts of electricity for the users of this professional looking and well-developed Add-In.
The Add-In basically allows you to monitor and control all power aspects of your server and PCs on your network. You can turn on, put to sleep, hibernate and shut down PCs on the network. You can even monitor the actual PC usage and server remote access as well.
Lights-Out enhances a Windows Home Server in these areas:
- Power management, to run your server on demand
- Client backup, to run a scheduled backup and use Wake-On-Lan
- Uptime chart, to give a graphical overview of device activity in your network
AxoNet has published a very good manual that explains all of the features of the Add-In. The PDF of this manual can be found at:
Unfortunately, AxoNet does not have a website that supports their product but they do have this Windows95 era help box that refers you to a WGS Forum.
THIS TECHNICAL PREVIEW EXPIRES ON NOVEMBER 30, 2010!
Once the Add-In is installed you are instantly transformed into a novice server administrator. There is functionality for monitoring PCs, runtime analysis and server controls.
The Uptime chart within Lights-Out is a great way to see who is on which computer at what time of day. This feature would be great for small businesses as well as small children.
The Add-In’s primary web interface is clean and fits with the Windows Server code name Vail motif.
You can also see all of the PCs on the network with the secondary Add-In interface.
Lights-Out Technical Preview Download
You can download the trial version of this Add-In from:
Lets see some video!
Lights-Out Technical Preview Add-In for Windows Server code name Vail
Lights-Out Beta Add-In for Windows Server code name Vail
Known Issues Published by AxoNet
Lights-Out for Vail and Aurora is currently a technical preview and not a finished product.
- This preview blocks the use after November 30, 2010.
- Add-In update on Add-In tab is not working (Vail issue).
- Resizing the Dashboard to the smallest possible window size creates a distorted Status sub-tab. Workaround: resize the Dashboard.
- Resizing the Dashboard window corrupts the calendar sub-tab. Workaround: change to previous month and then back to current month to redraw the calendar.
- You can’t load a Lights-Out WHS v1 license into this version. Lights-Out for Vail and Aurora requires a new license.
- Not localized, only English is supported
- Client GUI application is not started after installation. Workaround:
Not yet implemented and planned features
- Disk operations (like adding or removing a disk) are not monitored and the server may go into standby. Workaround: Disable Lights-Out for these operations.
- Restore operations (restoring single files or complete volumes) are not monitored and the server may go into standby. Workaround: Disable Lights-Out for these operations.
- Online help for Lights-Out for Vail and Aurora (still references WHS v1 help contents).
- Launchpad integration
- More settings on Remote Access
This Add-In will be useful to anyone wanting more control over the power consumption in their network. It is straight forward and relatively easy to use however you must make sure you read all of the Appendix pages after you have installed the Add-In. There are many settings changes required for all of the features such as for Wake On Lan and Hibernation that you may not know about.