Today saw the release of aTV Flash (black) version 1.4 for the 2nd generation AppleTV.
Here is what Firecore said:
Wow, what a week! We had quite a few exciting announcements yesterday from Apple, not the least of which was a brand-new, 1080p capable AppleTV. We are uber excited about this new model and already have a handful of test units on order. Better hardware usually lends itself to better software, and the AppleTV should be no exception. Keep reading for more information on what all this means for you as well as your current aTV Flash (black) license.
What does the new AppleTV 3 offer? Should I upgrade?
At this point, it appears the only real difference between the ATV2 and ATV3 is the video resolution. The ATV2 has a max resolution of 720p, whereas the ATV3 supports 1080p. There may be new features introduced in the future that will be ATV3 only, but for now unless you’re playing 1080p content you will not see much of a difference between the two models. The new menu layout that was demoed yesterday by Apple on the ATV3 will also be available on the ATV2.
What about the new 5.0 software? Can I update my AppleTV?
aTV Flash (black) is currently only compatible with AppleTV versions 4.2 – 4.4.4, and if you update you lose will your jailbreak and FireCore added features. However, if you have saved firmware signatures you can easily downgrade the AppleTV software at any time, so feel free to update to 5.0 and check it out.
Will aTV Flash (black) be compatible?
The short answer is: Yes! There will undoubtedly be a few obstacles to overcome in order to get everything up to speed, but based on our past experiences and progress thus far we’re confident we can put the pieces in place to make it happen.
Once an updated version is ready we’ll be rolling these changes into an aTV Flash (black) update, which will result in a universal application that is compatible with both the ATV2 and ATV3. The best part is users of aTV Flash (black) will be able to install it on either model without having to pay any extra fees.
That all sounds great, but what’s new in aTV Flash (black) 1.4?
Last, but certainly not least, we have a new version of aTV Flash (black) available today to help tide you over until the new models arrive. Full details on what’s included in version 1.4 can be found below.
- NEW: Center channel audio boost (+6dB and +12dB) for 5.0 and 5.1 audio tracks
- NEW: Finnish, German, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Russian, and Swedish translations
- NEW: ’4:3 Crop’ and ’4:3 Stretch’ zoom options
- NEW: Support for M3U and PLS playlists
- NEW: EyeTV folder detection
- NEW: TrueHD audio (downmixed)
- NEW: 24-bit and 32-bit audio (downmixed)
- NEW: Enhanced downmixing for 5.1 AC3 audio (Dolby Pro Logic II)
- NEW: Support for embedded MP3 covers
- NEW: Automatic EXIF-based image rotation
- NEW: MP4s embedded subtitles
- NEW: Clock added to main menu
- IMPROVED: Poster art quality in list and grid view
- IMPROVED: Buffering logic for DVD files
- IMPROVED: Cover art fetching from Last.fm
- IMPROVED: DVD menu highlighting
- IMPROVED: Photo viewer & slideshow
- IMPROVED: Adjusted slideshow to match native Flickr style
- IMPROVED: Danish, Dutch, French, Greek, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, and Spanish translations
- IMPROVED: Minor UI improvements
- FIXED: Downmixing issues for specific audio tracks
- FIXED: Playback issues for single ISO files in a folder
- FXIED: Increased AFP login timeout to 30 sec
- FIXED: Metadata issues for files that contain ‘/’ in folder or file name
- FIXED: Operation of the photo slideshow on iOS 4.x
- FXIED: Issue with favorites removal when share password is changed
- FIXED: Incorrect navigation in grid view on iOS 4.*
- FIXED: Issue with DVD marked as watched after viewing menu
- FIXED: Rare issue with incorrect pre-playback screen layout
- FIXED: Rare crash in libdvdnav when playing DVD files
- FIXED: Rare DVD playback error
- FIXED: Rare ‘Bad URL’ error
- FIXED: Other miscellaneous bug fixes
Beautiful! Where can I get it?
If you’re already running a version of aTV Flash (black) the new 1.4 version can be installed through the Maintenance –> Manage Extras menu. Links for the new version can also be found in your account under the Downloads tab.
If you’re not yet using aTV Flash (black) you can learn about all the great benefits here.